Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Book review: CHIME by Franny Billingsley

ChimeChime by Franny Billingsley
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I give this book eleven stars out of five.

I picked this up after reading this proclamation by Kristin Cashore: "I will spend my whole life trying to write a book as beautiful as Chime, by Franny Billingsley." After reading it myself, I can only say the same.

It took me a couple of chapters to settle into Briony's narrative voice, only because it was so unique. Briony tells her story with rhythm and imagery that is closer to poetry than prose, and a startling, heartbreaking candor. Once I aligned myself to it, I loved every single word.

CHIME is the story of love and loss, heartache and guilt, and wishing with every fiber of your being that you could be, had always been, someone different...until the slow but startling realization that it was only you who you needed to be all along, after all. And, amidst all that, is a gorgeous love story.

CHIME is one of the most lovely and delicately written stories I've ever read.

Highly recommended.

View all my reviews

No comments: