Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A week in paradise

I spent last week at a cottage on Eleuthera, one of the islands of the Bahamas. Eleuthera is not a tourist destination. It's not very developed and has a small population. In addition, we were there during hurricane season, so many of the few restaurants, etc. were closed for the season.

You know what we did have, though? This:

This was the view from the enormous deck of our cottage. That rocky stuff is actually exposed coral, which was really cool to walk along and explore. Also? Gorgeous at sunset:

I'm not really a beach person, but the beaches there are unbelievable and never crowded. In fact, we had them to ourselves most of the time--literally.

It was a truly lovely, relaxing vacation. It's a beautiful place to go if you want to just hang around and relax. (Not so much if you're looking for activity of any sort!)

I also got some great writing in while I was there. Nothing outstanding from a word count perspective, but all the words I wrote felt exactly right and I'll take that over high volume output any day.

Unfortunately, we were stuck in the Newark airport for 7 1/2 hours on the way back home (grrrr). But we did get to fly from Nassau to Newark with this guy: Yep. Gene Simmons from KISS. (And by "with" I mean "on the same plane as." He was in first class with his brand new wife and we were in coach.) Let me tell you, people: This dude is really, really scary looking up close in real life. Avoid the temptations of plastic surgery!! It does not wear well into older age!!!

So! What were you guys doing last week? What did I miss? Please let me know if you posted any news!

No comments: