Friday, January 6, 2012

Friday Five: Top 5 Reads of 2011 Edition

Yesterday, I was reviewing my Goodreads page in anticipation of this post and daaaaaaaaaaaamn 2011 was a good year for reading for me! LOTS of books that were rated 4 or 5 stars. For my full list of 2011 books and ratings (and a good number of reviews), please see my Goodreads page. I've highlighted my top 5 (in order) for you below. Title links are to my Goodreads reviews and purchase links are at the end of each.
 
CHIME by Franny Billingsley (YA fantasy) I gave this book eleven out of five stars and it was definitely my top read of 2011. I read it as an ebook but I put the paper book on my xmas list because I want to read it again (and again and again) and underline all my favorite parts (which will probably be every other word or so).  B&N | Amazon | Indiebound  

EDINBURGH by Alexander Chee (Literary Fiction) This was my top read of 2011 until I read CHIME. It is one of the most beautifully written, heartbreaking books I have ever experienced. Every sentence is like its own story, every paragraph contains its own heartache. It was a difficult read because it was so emotional, but so very worth it. The kind of book that leaves you feeling forever changed.  B&N | Amazon | Indiebound  

THE SCORPIO RACES by Maggie Stiefvater (YA) This one kind of snuck up on me. I really enjoyed it while I was reading it, but my love for it has grown in the intervening months since I finished it. I gave away a couple of copies to friends at xmas, actually. It's a beautiful story that's told precisely the way it needed to be. Stiefvater is a master at spare storytelling--leaving her pages uncluttered by extraneous anything (details, scenes, dialogue). And I really, really loved the characters. Just a really gorgeous story.  B&N | Amazon | Indiebound
 
FIRE by Kristin Cashore (YA fantasy) I'd been apprehensive to read this book. I loved GRACELING, the first book in this series, and this one seemed to center around a character from GRACELING whom I didn't care for. Boy, was I wrong! I loved this book ten times more than GRACELING (and that's saying something!) and the focus of the book is on an entirely different set of characters (all of whom I fell in love with), though that particular character from GRACELING does play a significant role. Loved it. B&N | Amazon | Indiebound  

THE SHADOW READER by Sandy Williams (Adult Urban Fantasy) I've loved this book from the moment Sandy posted the opening scene on her blog back in the day. In fact, I love it so much, I am TSR's self-proclaimed  #1 fan. Sandy's developed a rich, unique world and written a great adventure with a compelling love story. I've read it cover-to-cover about four times now and it's just as good as it was the first time.  B&N | Amazon | Indiebound


I had a really hard time narrowing down that fifth book for my top 5 list (so! many! good reads in 2011!) so I'd like to add a couple of Honorable Mentions:

FOREVER by Maggie Stiefvater (paranormal YA romance) -- The conclusion to the Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy was perhaps one of the loveliest books I've read.

WITHER by Lauren DeStefano (dystopian YA) -- Incredible worldbuilding, really unique concept, excellently written characters. An amazing debut. Also, one of my all-time favorite covers.

MATCHED by Ally Condie (dystopian YA romance) -- Again, top notch worldbuilding, unique concept and that gorgeous, spare prose that I'd give my left arm (okay, maybe my pinky toe) to be able to write.

No comments: