Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Logan's ancestry revealed!

You all know my dog, Logan, right? We adopted him when he was about two years old and I've always been curious about what mix of breeds he is. He's unusual enough looking that even vets tend to stop mid-sentence and go, "What *is* he?"

For xmas, Ben got me a dog DNA kit from this company Wisdom Panel. Basically you swab your dog's mouth, mail the sample off and three weeks later, voila! You get your dog's family tree, back two generations.

I would never have guessed Logan's.

I can definitely see the Italian Greyhound. His body shape mimics the Italian Greyhound's and his head shape is like a more fleshed out version of the Greyhound's. And he does have really crazy fur, which I could attribute to the Lhasa. And he has no concept of stepping *over* things that are on the floor, which I can chalk up to the Lab, assuming my stepmother's Lab is any indication. :) But, really, a Lab mix? Never would have guessed.

The even funnier part, to me, was their analysis on the Mixed Breed component:

To be clear, he is not necessarily all of those breeds but those are listed by strength in terms of how they showed up on the DNA analysis and therefore, by most likely possibility.

A Cane Corso? Really??? They're huge dogs (80-100+ lbs) that are more like mastiffs. Logan is small! Petite! He is pretty fierce, though. Despite his size, my understanding is that he rules the daycare yard (not that dominance is always tied to size, etc.).

Anyway, I thought it was pretty interesting and would definitely recommend the product to anyone who is curious and has $70 to burn.



(Lab ears, maybe?)

*photo credits: TAB Photograpic

2 comments:

Suzanne McLeod said...

Oh, really interesting, and WOW! for the small/big dogs on the other side. I didn't know you could get these, though probably not in the UK :-D

On a side note, are you going to RT in Chicago this year?

Renee Sweet said...

Hey Suzanne! I know, isn't it crazy how much variety shows up in his gene pool? Amazing.

Hmmm. I wonder if there are other companies that might do them in the UK? I know there's another one that has a more extensive data base and is more expensive but it's done via a blood test through your vet. Maybe you could do that one there?

I'm sorry to say I'm not attending RT this year (waah). Are you going? I would have loved to have hung out!