Thursday, January 19, 2012

This is all I ever wanted from life

There's a song on Snow Patrol's latest album called Life-ning that lists out things the singer wants from life. For example:  

Words of reassurance 
But only if they're true 
Just some simple kindness 
No vengeance from the gods

The chorus is simple: just the line "This is all I ever wanted from life" repeated.

It's a beautiful song and it's been circling my head for the last few days. I started thinking, what would Megan (the main character in TLOS) have written for her verses of this song? And what would the main characters of the book I'm currently working on write?

Understanding what motivates your characters is absolutely essential to writing a good story and crafting good character development. I make sure I understand that at a foundational level before I put any words on the page--like, what does this character want most? What is the thing that drives his/her decisions and actions? But thinking about it in terms of this song and the breadth of desires addressed in its lyrics and what I learned about the singer by listening to them brought it to a whole new level for me.

No comments: